Ross, Tom, Leanne & Adam are here with this week’s Reds Transfer Roundup, where we discuss Lyon’s questionable bid for Xherdan Shaqiri & the contract situation at Anfield. We also assess Liverpool’s squad going into the new season, and ask what improvements can be made.
Pre season reflection
- Based around transfers and your thoughts.
- Has anything changed for you?
- Has your perspective changed? Did you think things were really bad? But now they aren’t
- One big take from pre season was surprisingly our depth. We aren’t as bad as I thought.
- Midfield you’ve got Fab, Thiago, Hendo, Naby, Ox, Jones, Elliott & Milner
- Forwards; Bobby, Jota, Mo, Jota, Taki – possibly Elliott and Ox?
- CB’s; van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Konate, Phillips, Davies, Williams.
- We still need more but we’ve got bodies
- The huge caveat in all this is if most of them stay fit.
Van Dijk set for new contract
“They’re working on new contracts for players to stay,” the Sky Sports journalist said on the Here We Go podcast (via Sportlens). “Alisson, Fabinho and Alexander-Arnold have been announced. Virgil van Dijk will be the next one.”
There are certain complications arising from such talks, however, with there being a sense that the Reds may need to break their wage structure to keep top-earners like Van Dijk at the club.
- Just turned 30
- Expires 2023
- Could they find themselves in a similar situation to Gini? Age v wage?
- Give him what he wants imo
- Also important to see how he recovers from a huge injury
Lyon want Shaqiri
- Didn’t feature on Monday night v Osasuna but we’ve been here before
- Liverpool want £12m – They’ve reportedly (JP) offered £4m.
- Bit ‘wide of the mark’
- It’s a huge game of chess at this point, the only people who aren’t freaking out are the Michael Edwards & co
- Last summer, last business, January, late business.
- Where’s the fire?
- Is there a point where Liverpool have to take less than they want for Shaqiri & Origi?
- Nat Phillips also didn’t feature.